Do you crave chips while you are doing keto? Overall, I think that it is perfectly reasonable to want that “crunch” sensation. Well, the good news is with flaxseed chips, you can fulfill that crunch you are looking for and be keto compliant! Not only are they super easy to make, but they taste delicious! A wonderful thing about them is that they also have numerous antioxidant benefits. Flaxseed is the most abundant known source of plant lignans, which can protect against Type 2 diabetes, help maintain bone density, and block the effects of estrogen associated with certain cancers(1).
Flaxseed also has shown to help feed beneficial bacteria in the gut! Past studies have investigated the breakdown of dietary fiber in the gut, noting it produces changes in the digestive system, ultimately reducing the production of fat tissue and improving your immune function(2). No wonder it is the go-to keto snack!
Making flaxseed chips
The first time I made flaxseed chips, I greased the pan with coconut oil, which turned out well. It gave the chips a buttery flavor! I had read several recipes that had said to use parchment paper, which is something that can be done as well. However, I found that the oil gave it a buttery-type of taste and added to the flavor! I only used about 1 tbsp of oil and greased a glass baking dish before spreading the flaxseeds down. Before cooking the chips, you would want to let flaxseeds soak overnight in water for about 8 hours or so. If you’re going to soak them longer, than that is fine too!
It will look like this when you spread it in the dish:
I generally purchase my flaxseeds in bulk and usually get about 2 lbs at one time. For the recipe, I only used a 1 pound, but feel free to use 2 lbs to make more chips. The cool thing is that flaxseed is available in bulk supply in most places. I have a local organic health food store where I purchase mine, however, due to the recent pandemic I am ordering from online. I would recommend you buy it here.
When purchasing, make sure you buy them organic and get them in the whole seeds. Do not get the flax meal. The ingredients that are needed in addition to the 1 lb of flaxseed and coconut oil include water, salt, garlic, and onion powder. Feel free to add spices of your choice! I chose to put curry and chipotle in mine for an added spice!
Enjoy for 0.6 net carbs per serving!!
- 1 lb flaxseeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups water ( or enough to coat the seeds)
- First, take 1 lb of flaxseeds and soak them for about 8 hours. Pour enough water so you cover all of the flaxseeds. Add the salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Plus any other spices of your choice! Stir well.
- After the flaxseeds have soaked for 8 hours, preheat your oven for 250 degrees F. Then gather a glass baking dish about 9 x 13 size. Take 1 tbsp of coconut oil and grease it well all over the dish.
- Proceed to then take the flaxseeds and spread them all throughout the dish with a spatula. Make sure it is spread evenly on the glass dish.
- Now that the oven is preheated, place the glass dish in there and let the flax cook for about 2 hours. It may take even longer than this, it depends on your oven. The chips will be done once they are crisp.
- Pull the dish out of the oven and partition the flaxseed chips. Should make about 16 servings. You can choose to cut in squares or circular. Enjoy!
Join me on a journey towards wellness
I am so glad that you have found my recipe for flax chips! You may also like some of my other keto recipes such as Keto Shrimp and Grits or Vegetable Keto Lasagna. Choosing to do a keto diet is only a small portion of an exciting adventure towards improved health. In order to achieve true wellness, it is an integration of several different concepts. Please visit my Start Here page to learn about 6 stepping stones towards wellness.
Overall, I am here to support you in your efforts. Please sign up for my email list to get more updates from me on healthy recipes and holistic information!
You may also like
Pesto Zucchini Zoodle Bowl
“Easily Add Flaxseed to Your Daily Routine.” Mercola.com, articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2019/02/18/flaxseed-health-benefits.aspx.(1,2)